Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Baked Chicken Fajitas

  Today is Tasty Tuesday so, of course, I'm going to share a yummy recipe!  I've always loved the the concept of breaking bread, fellowship, just gathering around a good meal with people you love.  It's one of the things that gives me much joy!

  I have many fond memories of being in the kitchen with my little momma as she prepared meals or canned vegetables.  I also remember washing a lot of dishes in the sink back then!  My mom and my grandmother before her, were never ones to do much measuring.  Their recipes consisted of "a little bit of this" and "a little more of that".  Needless to say, that's how I learned to cook as well.  This kind of cooking can actually have its benefits.  You can add more of what you do like, omit the things you don't like, and really make a recipe your very own.

  The recipe that I am going to share today, making it my own, is exactly what I did!  I'll explain as I go!  I do want to mention that these were a huge hit at my house!

Baked Chicken Fajitas:

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
*I can usually find hormone/steroid free boneless, skinless chicken tenderloin strips at Food City for $1.99/lb!  That is what I used in this recipe!
2 tbsp vegetable oil (I used light olive oil)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1 4oz can diced green chilies
*Instead of using either of these, I just used 1 10oz can of mild Ro-tel.
1 medium onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, seeded and sliced (I used green)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
*In place of chili powder, cumin and oregano, I used several shakes(sorry no measurement) of Southwestern Seasoning mix by Pampered Chef.
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Some salt and pepper to taste

Toss oil, vegetable and spices into a large bowl and stir them together.  Add chicken and toss until well coated.  Put all ingredients into 13X9 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. 

We served these on flour tortillas, very yummy!

  *This is a recipe from SixSistersStuff, which they got from 'Eatin on the Cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment