Wednesday, September 11, 2013

We Homeschool Wednesday - Artist Studies

  This school year I wanted to do something that we have not done before.  I wanted us to do a series of studies on great artists.  Renoir, Da Vinci, Monet!  At a recent seminar I went to, they had a great selection of story books about some of these artists with vivid illustrations of a few of their paintings.




  These are lovely stories and they are a great doorway to getting your child excited about art.  Along with these great books, I have also found several awesome activities to go along with them.  I will post the links below.

  This first link will show you how to paint using watercolors, glue, and salt.  At first glance it may seem like it is for the very young, but my oldest is 12 and I really think that all of my children would enjoy doing this!
1)  http://www.sweethappylife.com/2012/activities/preschool-activities/painting-with-watercolors-glue-and-salt/

  This link contains some wonderful coloring pages of the artists paintings.
2)  http://www.funnycoloring.com/painter-cassatt.htm

  Loving this link to a craft based on Monet's famous painting, "Bridge over a pond of water lilies".
3)  http://www.thecraftyclassroom.com/CraftArtistMonet.html

  And of course, saving the best for last!  I love this one!  To give your child an idea of what is was like for Michelangelo to paint the ceiling of the great cathedral, this one is a must.
4)  http://educationcreateshumanimagination.tumblr.com/post/22842913829/paint-like-michelangelo-what-a-great-idea


  Don't forget that you can also google each artist and look at pictures of their beautiful paintings!  So, drag out your dusty old box of craft supplies and have some fun!


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! If you're still working art into your lessons, here's a god site: http://www.artchive.com/ftp_site.htm
    This guy has every conceivable artist listed on the left side of the page. Clicking on the artist you want brings up a brief biography and several of his/her pieces of art. I've had these printed off at Staples before and put them up on the wall so we can take them in over the course of several weeks. (Having them printed at Staples gives really good color quality.)
    By the way, I haven't been able to reach you by email, phone, nothin! Reach out sometime, friend, I'd love to talk with ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dulci, I am sorry that I've been so hard to reach. Sure wish we were closer! You don't know how much it meant to me that you actually came by because you couldn't get a hold of me. I appreciate you so much! And thanks for great link you shares for art!

      Delete