Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tasty Tuesday - Gluten Free Lemon Bars

  Okay, Okay!  Going Gluten Free is hard.  I knew that I would have to approach it slowly and I knew that I could not just go to my pantry and throw away all things gluten.  I decided that when I run out of an item containing gluten, I would just replace it with a gluten free item(or something like that). 

  My mom found a book called the Wheat Belly Cookbook and it has some great tips and recipes in it.  Especially if you are just starting on the gluten free journey.

  With gluten-free items becoming more and more available at your local market, it is easy to buy a lot of processed and pre-made foods that are still not good for you.  The Wheat Belly Cookbook talks about the importance of staying away from these items and using flours such as Almond flour and Coconut flour.  When you use the potato starch, tapioca starch, and rice flours to cook with, you are getting a lot of unhealthy carbs.  They have a lot of wonderful recipes, using almond and coconut flour, in the book and I have found many recipes on Pinterest. 

  I am trying lots of new things, some are yummy......some are not!  To get you off to a good start, I am going to share with you one of the yummiest gluten-free recipes I've made so far.  It's for lemon bars!

  http://therealslimsunny.blogspot.com/2012/03/lemon-bars.html

  Now, I must also make a confession:  I followed the bar recipe to the letter, but I did make my own icing.  Powdered sugar is gluten free(woo hoo)!  I am not usually a measurer so I will tell you what I put in it.  Lemon juice and zest, powdered sugar, a little butter, and a little coconut milk.  End result = delicious!

  My husband even enjoyed these.  There is hope!!

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment